Sunday, March 13, 2011

The good with the bad.

Noah is in swimming classes. He loves it. If I mention that we are going to his class that will be all I hear 'pool, pool, pool'?? But honestly the last few weeks have been rough. Not for Noah but for me, his keenest observer.

I did notice a problem before during his lessons but his class always just consisted of him. Usually there would be another child in his class but no one else had signed up and we were thankful for that one on one. Because Noah is crazy about throwing everything, and anything, into the pool. Pool toys especially. His cute little teacher would dodge his throws through out the lesson as he happily DISOBEYED her. I had to sit on my hands, trying to stop myself from running into the pool area. I don't think that is encouraged. It became obvious to me that this was a problem and it was becoming a frustration to all of those around him.

Things sort of came too this last week. We actually pulled him out for the last ten minutes of his class, he now has another little girl in his class, and it became so apparent to me that this was a problem. The teacher was frustrated, the leader was frustrated, and the other family were starting to whisper. I was so devastated. So we pulled him. And Kelly took the boys out while I stayed to talk with the lady at the front desk.

I am not sure I ever understood how humbling it would be being a parent. Here I was in the midst of seeing and hearing feedback on my son and sometimes it is just hard to hear. I wanted to sing of how great he truly is but in the end, there is a problem, and there needed to be a solution not dependent on how great I think he is!

Well, poor front desk lady, I poured my heart out to her. She was kind in her remarks but I still walked away unsure of it all. It is hard to share with someone your concern over your child's actions, of his struggle's with communicating and that he doesn't seem as mature as he could be for his age.

Well that was about two weeks ago that I wrote that. Now we are on the other side of things. We have resolved some of the problems with removing those tempting objects. Noah and I work on sitting on his turtle and not throwing it at home. We still see him being crazy during lessons but I am so thankful that they have been kind enough to work on it with him (ie. saying a firm no). I sit and pray for my heart because quite honestly I am still a bit on the hurt side of it all. But that is parenting for me. Humbling, the way it should be right!?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Heidi. Thank you for posting this! Such honesty. We're not to the phase with Abby yet where we have to deal with disobeying, but I know it's coming! And when we get there, I have no doubt I'll be coming to you for advice. You are such an amazing, loving mom and Noah is so blessed to have you in his life.

    ReplyDelete